Skip to Main content Skip to Navigation
New interface
Journal articles

Prolonged in-hospital stay and higher mortality after Covid-19 among patients with non-Hodgkin lymphoma treated with B-cell depleting immunotherapy

Rémy Duléry 1 Sylvain Lamure 2, 3 Marc Delord 4 Roberta Di Blasi 5 Adrien Chauchet 6 Thomas Hueso 7 Cédric Rossi 8 Bernard Drenou 9 Bénédicte Deau Fischer 10 Carole Soussain 11 Pierre Feugier 12 Nicolas Noël 13 Sylvain Choquet 14 Serge Bologna 12 Bertrand Joly 15 Laure Philippe 16 Milena Kohn 4 Sandra Malak 11 Guillemette Fouquet 10 Étienne Daguindau 6 Yassine Taoufik 17, 7 Karine Lacombe 18 Guillaume Cartron 2, 3 Catherine Thiéblemont 5 Caroline M. Besson 19, 4, * 
Abstract : Prolonged Covid-19 is an emerging issue for patients with lymphoma or immune deficiency. We aimed to examine prolonged length of in-hospital stay (LOS) due to Covid-19 among patients with lymphoma and assess its determinants and outcomes. Adult patients with lymphoma admitted for Covid-19 to 16 French hospitals in March and April, 2020 were included. Length of in-hospital stay was analyzed as a competitor vs death. The study included 111 patients. The median age was 65 years (range, 19–92). Ninety-four patients (85%) had B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Within the 12 months prior to hospitalization for Covid-19, 79 patients (71%) were treated for their lymphoma. Among them, 63 (57%) received an anti-CD20 therapy. Fourteen patients (12%) had relapsed/refractory disease. The median LOS was 14 days (range, 1–235). After a median follow-up of 191 days (3–260), the 6-month overall survival was 69%. In multivariable analyses, recent administration of anti-CD20 therapy was associated with prolonged LOS (subdistribution hazard ratio 2.26, 95% confidence interval 1.42–3.6, p < 0.001) and higher risk of death (hazard ratio 2.17, 95% confidence interval 1.04–4.52, p = 0.039). An age ≥ 70 years and relapsed/refractory lymphoma were also associated with prolonged LOS and decreased overall survival. In conclusion, an age ≥ 70 years, a relapsed/refractory lymphoma and recent administration of anti-CD20 therapy are risk factors for prolonged LOS and death for lymphoma patients hospitalized for Covid-19. These findings may contribute to guide the management of lymphoma during the pandemic, support evaluating specific therapeutic approaches, and raise questions on the efficacy and timing of vaccination of this particular population.
Complete list of metadata
Contributor : Équipe HAL UVSQ Connect in order to contact the contributor
Submitted on : Thursday, September 29, 2022 - 10:21:02 AM
Last modification on : Monday, November 28, 2022 - 10:38:07 AM


Manuscript prolonged Covid lym...
Files produced by the author(s)



Rémy Duléry, Sylvain Lamure, Marc Delord, Roberta Di Blasi, Adrien Chauchet, et al.. Prolonged in-hospital stay and higher mortality after Covid-19 among patients with non-Hodgkin lymphoma treated with B-cell depleting immunotherapy. American Journal of Hematology, 2021, 96 (8), pp.934-944. ⟨10.1002/ajh.26209⟩. ⟨hal-03401859⟩



Record views


Files downloads